Friday, June 17, 2011

I'm Your Peanut Butter Big Brother

Title- I'm Your Peanut Butter Big Brother
Author- Selina Alko
Illustrator-Selina Alko
Publisher- Alfred A. Knopf
Genre-  Children's Book
Readable lexile- Ages 4-8

Summary- This book is about a child who is curious what his interracial sibling might look like. He uses the people in his life and descriptive words to help him sort out what might be.

Evaluation on Literature- This book is written in an easily read and understood way that young children of all ages can understand. It uses common words that may help children differentiate the differences between children and their back ground. Though it feel it is a good book to help open the discussion of why people look the way they do. I also feel that, in a way, it also points out how different you are and may cause some feelings of alienation among younger children.

Illustration- I found the illustrations were made with not only the pictures but the words too.  THey were relevant to the text and i feel that they would help make sense of the descriptors used in  the writing.

Mini-lesson- I would use this in a lesson to help teach young children that all individuals are special and should be celebrated for the differences and similarities.

No comments:

Post a Comment